Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Overtaken by blessing




And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the LORD your God.
Deuteronomy 28:2

I love the way this promise reads, particularly since it is sandwiched between two passages of warnings about the curses of disobeying the Law (Deuteronomy 27:9-26; 28:15-64). God would rather bless His people than punish their sin. It is the nature of God to bless.

The image of being "overtaken" by blessings is fun and unexpected. It is as if blessings are waiting I'm the bushes, ready to waylay us. God is Tigger, bouncing out of the sidelines to embrace us and tackle us to the ground, as we are bowled over by His joyous love. I'd much rather be overtaken by blessing than be felled by the punishing effects of my sinful choices.

And an entire army of blessings has overtaken me. I have an awesome home with a loving, faithful wife. I have kids who are unique blessings: talented, healthy and smart. My immediate family are all people who know the Lord. I have a church home that challenges and supports me as I minister within it. God has graciously supplied my family's financial need during this current depression with work for Joni as well as additional part-time employment for me that have helped us survive the last two salary cuts. We have never missed a payment on anything nor have we gone hungry. Blessings have overtaken me and I appreciate and worship the God of outrageous joy and blessing!


- Posted with my iPad. The Apple Kool-Aide tastes fine.

No comments: