Wednesday, August 24, 2011

overwhelmed by intimacy with the Almighty




Then King David went in and sat before the LORD and said, "Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?
And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord GOD."
2 Samuel 7:18-19a

David's passion for God was rewarded with an intimacy with God that resulted in overwhelming blessing and joy. David planned to build a permanent temple for the worship of the Lord in Jerusalem. He first approached Nathan the prophet to confirm his desire to do so. The prophet told him to move forward with the idea. And that is the start of the Davidic covenant.

God then came to Nathan with a revelation for king David. He confirmed his kingship and promised him an heir forever on Israel's throne. He told him that his son would complete a temple in Jerusalem. But first, God wanted to build something. God wanted to build the household of David before David built a house for God. God was doing something trans-generational. In fact, this was a vital part of the history of redemption. Of course we know where this all went... Jesus is the Son of David by lineage. But God wanted this done before the temple construction. The covenant was most important to God, even as David benefited from it. It was a unilateral covenant... God was going to do all the work.

David responded to this communique from God by entering the tabernacle, sitting before the Lord, and offering an intimate prayer of gratitude and submission to the plan of God. He accepts the covenant and agrees to it. He was humbled by all God had done. He used a personal, emotional, and intimate title for God, praying with the address, "O Lord GOD" numerous times in his short prayer. He commits to the covenant in this conversation with God. It is really quite beautiful to read and reflect upon.

This episode lets us in on the nature of God in relationship with us. He seeks to reward those who "diligently seek Him"... those who obey and follow Him. He enters into relationship. God pursues us with His blessings.

I need that reminder. I often think of my faith as something I do or have. I mistakenly see it as all up to me. But God is passionate about me. He is merciful, forgiving, and has provided the means for even a miserable sinner like me to find grace through my Savior, Jesus Christ. God wants to commune with me. He loves me. He delights in me as He delights in His Son. And He longs for me to be as close to Him as I can be. I need to hear from Him. I need to obey His Word. I need to talk with Him as freely as David did.


- Prepare your minds for action.
1 Peter 1:13

No comments: