Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Contentment




Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
1 Timothy 6:6-8

I see so much around me
that vies for my affection;
lots of stuff to occupy me
and fight for my attention.

It looks so good, so appealing
to have and get and own and gain
-- yet these things, in my heart revealing
what yet I want to possess and obtain.

Through magic lies of advertising
I am drawn to what I'm told
will make my life full, my self inviting
and so with this pitch, I am sold.

The thing is bought, I'm beside myself...
the new wears off and boredom hits
and soon dust collects and it's on the shelf;
my eyes despise it now where it sits.

What I have is a problem with what I spent;
I placed spiritual value on material stuff.
What I needed to learn was real contentment
so that joy could meet me when life gets rough.

I came into this world confused and naked,
nothing in my hands, needing love...
and I will leave it tired and vacant
of anything to take to homes above.

What I have is what I need for
simple living...the life to live.
I'll redefine my goals and reach for
just needful food or clothes, the rest I'll give.

Trust in God for what I need shapes
my heart to seek His loving face.
As my selfishness dies, God remakes
me contented to appreciate His grace.

No comments: