Monday, July 6, 2009

Generational Impact

generation men

And when in time to come your son asks you, 'What does this mean?' you shall say to him, 'By a strong hand the LORD brought us out of Egypt, from the house of slavery.

Exodus 13:14

God was leading a generation of slaves to become a new nation in a new land. And His plans involved much more than just the present generation. God wanted them to pass on a vibrant faith to another generation, and He used the mechanism of tradition and practice to instill in Israel the generational memory of the Exodus.

First God gives Israel the instruction on the Feast of Unleavened Bread to remember the swiftness of the Passover and deliverance. And Exodus 13:8 informs them to do this so that the next generation will know what God did for these former slaves. Then God instructs the people to offer to Him the firstborn of every livestock, and to redeem the firstborn child with a lamb, instituting a commitment to redemption, a remembrance of the more difficult aspects of the Passover, and teaching a strong commitment to having a life dedicated to the Lord.

God was interested in more than one generation. He always loves the world. I believe and know this. That is why the span of the Bible covers thousands of years of history. That is why it is still a living message for us today. The truth of God’s love for this present generation is shown in the availability of the gospel and Jesus’ mandate to His followers to proclaim the gospel in the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20) until the end of the age.

I am committed to this. My biggest passion in ministry right now is to develop the relationships and hand over ministry to the next generation of believers. I want to see the local church thrive. I want to see the teaching of God’s Word thrive. I want to see the gospel go forward. I want to see a new generation of 20-somethings and 30-somethings reach the world with the gospel. I want my kids to have a vibrant faith. I am convinced that this is the most vital, practical, and wisest use of my time and energy right now. I want to preach and minister the gospel in a way that involves myself in where the next generation is going with God’s leadership. I want them to know, appreciate and pass on the truth that God has always had a strong hand to deliver His people!

Technorati Tags: ,,

1 comment:

Gary Pauley said...

nice. funny how our focus has changed over the years. or, because of the years...