Friday, July 3, 2009

Time to wait.

red light The time that the people of Israel lived in Egypt was 430 years. At the end of 430 years, on that very day, all the hosts of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt.

Exodus 12:40-41

If Israel waited four centuries and another third for God to work, what does it mean for me to rest in God’s plan for a while? It will be worth it. And a season of waiting is what God has for me. I am not disappointed.

I had hoped that ministry timing would have had me launching out a larger counseling ministry at the beginning of 2009. It did not happen because funds were not available. I do want to wonder. Lay-counselors are trained and serving. There are weeks where those who serve as volunteers are counseling and helping more people than I am. So I was told to wait until the new fiscal year, which started this week. But again, the recession has hit the church, and all new spending, as well as much “normal” spending has been frozen.

It was no fun to have to tell people who were looking forward to serving on a counseling staff (at least part-time) that we could not go yet. God wants us in Egypt, I suppose, for just a little bit longer. And I have learned enough to patiently trust that God will do a bigger work, a better work, a more magnificent work in us and through us at just the right time.

An old praise chorus resounds in my ears:

Wait on the Lord

Listen to His voice

They that wait upon the Lord

Shall renew their strength

Wait on the Lord

let His Spirit lead

where the Spirit of the Lord is

there is peace, sweet peace.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: