Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Peace, man!




Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

Peace is the gift of Jesus, and it comes specifically through the ministering work of the Holy Spirit (John 14:26). The promise to the disciples was that the Holy Spirit would guide them in all truth and bring to mind the things that Jesus had taught them. Peace would follow in the work of the Spirit of God in their lives.

I live in a world that has always desperately wanted peace, but defies true peace at every turn because it sinfully resists the Spirit of God and the Savior Who would bring it peace. Hippie idealism has defined peace for many in our culture. But peace is not about a selfish "mellow life", or the absence of any military conflict. Peace is found only one way: through the One Who is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6) and can redeem broken, restless souls one at a time when they come to Him.

My busy life can scream for peace without obedience to the Holy Spirit keeping me centered on Jesus. I must make my day focused on the Word of God that shows me the Son of God so that I can obey the will of God so that the Spirit of God may do His work in and through me. The result of that commitment and obedience is peace... real and God-given peace.

No comments: