Tuesday, October 5, 2010

God will do amazing things




Then Joshua said to the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you."
Joshua 3:5

This was how Joshua prepared the nation of Israel for the crossing of the Jordan. It was harvest time, and the river was overflowing its banks. Yet God decreed that now was the time for Israel to cross into Canaan. And as the priests marched toward the water, it heaped up on each side. As the nation marched across, the priests stood on dry ground.

I tend to only think of God in these abilities and in these terms when reading a miraculous account. But they are meant to draw me to worship of a God Who works mightily in His people. I don't want hype to surround these kinds of things like they do with the charismatic element of the church today. God seems more wondrous than Benny Hinn makes Him out to be.

But I don't want to ever fall into the trap to think that God cannot work mighty deeds. I have a lot to think about here. I have been in a dry desert too long, and it seems impossible to think of anything else. But God will part rivers and provide and make a way for me to follow Him beyond this point. I just have to consecrate myself to that and know it will happen. So I feel chastened, and humbled, and ready to consecrate my heart to a God who does wonderful things.


- Prepare your minds for action.
1 Peter 1:13

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I think river-crossing moments really happen once in a lifetime, and the reason God goes to such great lengths to tell the Israelites to remember is because, to me, it seems He chooses these grand gestures carefully and sparsely. I know I love the thrill of those moments, but perhaps praising Him for the ones we HAVE seen is the test. Just a thought.

Martin Burch said...

I agree there are moments unique to events that are rare. I just know that we can lose our expectation for God to work, and that is my feeling right now. This passage revived some true trust in the power of God for me.