Tuesday, October 16, 2012

nothing but You






This shall be their inheritance: I am their inheritance: and you shall give them no possession in Israel; I am their possession.
Ezekiel 44:28
This was the standard for the priests in Israel. They were not to live in such a way as to accumulate wealth for themselves. They were not to own property or pass property on to family. They were to be solely devoted to the service of The Lord in His temple. God would provide for them through their devotion to Him.
A portion of the grain, oil, and animal offerings belonged to the priests. And there were quarters for their families to live. The service of The Lord was meant to provide the essentials necessary for worship. If they were faithful in performing priestly duties, leading the nation spiritually and encouraging Israel to follow The Lord, then there would be more than enough resources available to care for their needs. They trusted God. They served God. God provided for their needs.
I find this rule for the priests to be compelling. It must have fostered a faith in them that was instructive to the nation. They could not trust their own resources or abilities. They fully trusted in God's provision through His people.
Lord,
Help me to appreciate that I gain nothing if I do not have You. Let me trust in Your blessings. It is so easy to think that I am alive by my own industrious labor. Let me see that You are my inheritance and that You are my possession. I want to value You above all else that constitutes my life.
Amen

No comments: