Wednesday, January 23, 2013

God of hope




"Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.'"
Jeremiah 23:5-6

A promise of restoration comes to the Jews in their difficult days. Even though the fall of Jerusalem is in process (the exile starts just one chapter away in Jeremiah 24), God is making secure promises to bring His people back one day from exile (Jeremiah 23:7-8) and restore them. And a bright future kingdom shines large in these prophecies. Aspects of it have yet to be realized. And there are clear Messianic prophecies in the picture of return and restoration.

God gives hope, even in the deepest hardships. This is the message of the promise of bringing the nation back to the land and back into covenant with Him. Even when humans must bear the consequences of our sin, God will use that time to reshape us, call us to Him, and restore His people again.

Lord,
I am thankful for the hope that You give. I will cling to it in my most difficult times. I know that my own sins come between us and I also know that there is forgiveness in You. And in Your Son is found all that I need. You are all that I hope for!
Amen

No comments: