Thursday, December 5, 2013

Am I going through the motions?

The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!

Psalm 50:23


God wants our hearts. There is no way around it. Rote ritual will not make the relationship happen. God wants us to truly express ourselves to Him with love, praise, and thanksgiving. Only then will our prayers mean something and real worship be the result. 


So it is not about a style of music, or a specific liturgy, or a regulative principle (whatever that means).... except what God says He wants in praise from the heart. He told Israel he would rather have honest giving of thanks than any costly animal sacrifice that was just mere ritual without any meaning. God will not accept us just going through the motions.


Lord,

I examine my heart and give to You real thanks this morning. I don't ever want to fall into barren ritual. I want my soul to rejoice and my heart to seek You in worship all my days. I thank You for the grace in Christ to know that I am a forgiven sinner. Keep my sense of gratitude high as I think about the cost You paid to save me and Your love for the world! And may that love keep burning in my heart for You AND for the world that You love through the sacrifice of Your Son.

Amen

No comments: