Thursday, December 18, 2008

Prayer is really submission.


Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God!
Let your good Spirit lead me
on a level ground!
Psalm 143:10

This is the kind of personal prayer request that has intense spiritual impact. So many times it seems that my personal praying is gathered around my material comfort. I ask for God to make me "feel" better. I don't really pray much for Him to teach me His will. Most of my praying is an attempt to inform Him of how my life would be so much better if I could just somehow get Him to conform to what I want!

It means something that God is my God. One humbles pride before the great God that is worshiped. If the goal is to get Deity to grant wishes, then one worships no one and instead has a magical view of God as some sort of super-beneficial genie. That is not what prayer is to be. It is not asking for the granting of three wishes, commanding God to give me what I cannot get myself. 

Prayer is primarily a submission. It is a bowing down of the soul and of the pride of the person before an Almighty God. It is a surrender to the all powerful authority, asking that God might show us what we should do for Him. I must remember this.

God,
May I surrender to Your leadership and teaching today. May I know that Your good Spirit is leading me to level ground. May I not be ashamed to be led by Your Word into simple but profound reliance upon You. You know my needs. You know what my heart wants. You know the relief I beg for. But You also know what is best for me and I submit to that no matter it what it means to my wishes or dreams.
Amen.


No comments: