Friday, May 15, 2009

The Big Picture: why I should do what I do.

crowd

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, "Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!"

Revelation 7:9-10

Companies have their visions statements and their mission statements. Sometime in the late eighties that became an overt corporate practice. And it is not a bad thing. But Wall Street was just catching up with the church in that practice. When I read scripture there are clarifying portions that show me clearly why it is I serve as a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This passage is one of them.

The scene of worship of God in heaven by an innumerably diverse crowd of human beings from every ethnic group imaginable is quite stirring. It is the ultimate worship service. And their worship is significant. They cry out with palm branches in hand (a symbol of Jesus’ triumph as Messiah and Deliverer) in appreciation and recognition of God as the sole provider of salvation in Jesus. This crowd knows they are there because of the work of Christ. And they worship wholeheartedly.

This scene keeps me going. It is why when I have opportunity, I will share the gospel with anyone who may not understand their need of Christ. It is why I will work among redeemed sinners who do not always act like the saints they are supposed to be. Yes, church work has its ugly side as well. I am OFTEN judged, misunderstood, spoken down to, even dismissed by Christians… some of them in my own church. I would expect that from outside the church. It is difficult to take inside the walls. But it is worth it to know that at some point, I will not feel the slights and we will ALL stand together affirming what we have known all along: Jesus is Lord and Savior. That is what matters the most. We will be thoroughly satisfied with that worship.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments: