Tuesday, May 5, 2009

In Your Dark Day

dark day

Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Matthew 27:45-46

As the sky went black
and as mockers laughed
You died for me
breathing your last

As all around
people joked and stared
You felt all alone
hanging there

And in God forsaken pain
My sin borne upon Your cross
Guilt weighed down Your soul
Innocence suffered my loss

Forgiving to the last
You yielded Your life
to reconcile God and man
and end the strife

They pulled Your body down
and carried it to a grave
but death would not win
because You came to save

In Your dark day
My victory won
a temporary grave
would not hold God's Son

And a bright morning came
to bring eternal dawn
breaking forth in my heart
Over death You have won.

No comments: