Friday, June 12, 2009

23 Years of Sanctified Marriage

wedding rings Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth.

Malachi 2:15

God brings husband and wife together. He makes two one. And Malachi tells us there is something deeply spiritual going on “with a portion of the Spirit in their union”. I am not sure of all that phrase means other than I do know that the Spirit of God hovered over the creation of the world. God’s Spirit must attend and guide and stay with each marriage bond as a couple enters into that relationship.

This verse also gives a “why” behind godly marriage: to produce godly kids. Holy marriages produce a generation of believers. And God desires that marriages do just this. There is a deep commitment to God, to one’s spouse, and to one’s children in God design for marriage.

God was upset with Judah for the casual profaning of the marriage covenant. Divorce was becoming easy. Casual infidelity seems to have been prevalent. It was destroying the future of any godly offspring. It was destroying what He had uniquely created. God equated a casual disregard for the marriage covenant with the worst sins of violence (see Mal 2:16).

Marriage is a holy place. I recently finished reading Gary Thomas: “Sacred Marriage”. I was struck by the reality that the goal of my marriage is not my happiness, nor is it the happiness of my wife. The goal of our marriage is holiness. Marriage is a path to sanctity. It is not just another indulgence in my selfishness.

Sunday June 14th, Joni and I will celebrate 23 years of marriage. I thank God for my wife. God has used her to change me, to encourage me, to make a real man of me. I would not be anything today without her wisdom and friendship. I know that God joined us together and I pray for our continued lifetime of mutual love and sanctity to continue. It is what gives my life so much perspective and purpose… God brought us together and made us one with a portion of His Spirit in our union.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments: