Monday, June 15, 2009

An Entry in God’s Journal

Then those who feared the LORD spoke with one another. The LORD paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the LORD and esteemed his name.

Malachi 3:16

journal

God keeps His journals. Scripture makes this sort of statement as a matter of fact. Revelation takes about “the books” being opened at the last judgment. And the most important of those books is the “Lamb’s book of life”. I know that I tend to journal about the things I see in God that make me take notice. It seems from this passage that God journals about the deeds of His people.

Malachi 3:6-18 shows two contrasting groups of people. The first group, represented by the majority in Judah, are going through the motions of spirituality. They are led by corrupt priests and leaders. Their hearts are not in their worship. They have no problem offering diseased animals on the altar of sacrifice. They hold back tithes an offerings. They accuse God of being unfair.

The second groups is faithful. They fear God, and they encourage one another in the truth and in the right way. And God takes notice of them. It is this second groups that makes an entry in His “book of remembrance”. Their faithfulness to obeying and following and believing in Him is known by Him. He accepts their worship. He rewards the faithful remnant, even as He seeks to turn that first group back to Him.

I want to make an entry into God’s “book of remembrance”. I am afraid that I get caught up in the line of thinking of the ones who question God and only give him a half-hearted worship. I am reminded that faithful following is rewarded, and repentance from my turnings away will lead to renewed blessing if I return to former faithfulness.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: