Thursday, April 18, 2013

the fringes




Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand?
Job 26:14

Everything I can know
about God
(what is written, what is spoken,
what I can see)
is just a small revelation
of God
for He is bigger than any
description can be.

I sometimes think a flood
of information
about deity abounds in my world
(preaching, singing, reading)
as I wade through huge volumes
in anticipation
of finding out from God exactly
what I'm needing.

Yet the deepest theologian's monograph
and the wonder of a child
are really the same when it comes
down to it:
God is hard to catch, like a rare
creature wild
and our attempts to capture Him result
in empty net.

A lifetime is really not enough
to hold a drop of Him
and one second or one century
will only just start...
because even the most dedicated life
can only start to begin
to comprehend an awesome God
with mind and heart!

No comments: