Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Fearless Sleep

I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the LORD sustained me. I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around. 

Psalm 3:5-6


The choice is clear

I can know fearless sleep

or live with dread of sleepless fear

the question to debate: "Is God near?"


An ancient king led a nation

only to have reversal of station

his own army sought his execution

yet he could sleep like he was on vacation!


Fearless sleep came from trust

in a God Who led him to dust

and back again despite the rust

of moral failure and sinful lust.


Fearless sleep, not sleepless fear

led David to trust God Who was near

to save him from a son held dear

who sought to kill him in the clear.


So now I lay me down to sleep

praying to God my soul to keep

waking, dying, fearless faith has me

in my vulnerability God watches me.

No comments: