Thursday, February 27, 2014

insubstantial thoughts

He who disciplines the nations, does he not rebuke? He who teaches man knowledge - the LORD - knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath. 

Psalm 94:10-11


Take the wisest, most industrious people of any generation and put them all together and their combined wisdom and intellect would not be more than few whisps of breath on a cold morning in comparison to the wisdom and knowledge of God. Einstein? ... an exhale. Mozart? ...a puff of carbon dioxide. Steve Jobs? ... a mere sigh. Gandhi? ...breath. Scientists on the Manhattan Project? The framers of the U.S. Constitution? Napoleon? Thomas Edison? Marie Curie? Marx? Bill Gates? Breath... all of them. Every one of them are just not even close to equaling the wisdom of the Almighty. Human knowledge is limited and always finite.


Ultimately, any philosophy or commitment to human reason for a life direction falls short. Our insight is always limited. Our capacities are finite. Yes, we can achieve amazing accomplishments that better lives, but none of them are as great as God is. He knows us, created us, sovereignly directs us, bestows abilities on us to do many things... sometimes amazing things in His image, and He is the judge of all people and the works that they do under His authority. It is best to live a life directed by God's wisdom, letting Him direct an intellect that can be motivated for His glory.


Lord,

I know nothing without You. My intellect is finite, limited, and flawed. Yours is infinite, eternal, holy, and perfect. Teach me. Show me Your wisdom, today and always. I know that my thoughts are mere breath. But You have the words of eternal life. In You I trust. Use my intellect and my thoughts, the most essential thing that is me, for Your work!

Amen

No comments: