Thursday, February 13, 2014

WORSHIP: priorities & perspective

For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. 

Psalm 84:10


The real worship of God is found not in our church service attendance or in an adherance to a rigid program of personal discipline. We can and often should do those things, but they can become legalistic snares to the soul, keeping it from true worship if matters of the heart are not attended to first. What is shown to us by the words of this psalm is that worship is about priorities and perspective.


The heart that adores The Lord and seeks God above all else will worship The Lord in nearly every experience. Real worship is about a passion that desires God above all else in this life. It brings that passion to everything so that desiring God is a joy that pervades everything. I should find my heart engaged with God as I sip my breakfast coffee AND as I drift off to sleep each night. That makes "a day in His courts" a real experience that is better than anything else that I know.


That also brings a proper perspective to all that I do. Nothing done with a worshipful heart is merely mundane. Focusing on God helps bring power and purpose to even the task of opening the gate for another person. It enlightens and enobles the humblist of chores. It strengthens service. We don't do it for mere men but for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. It transforms a doorman into a diplomat!

No comments: