Monday, May 5, 2014

anticipating worship

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. 

Psalm 121:1-2


This is a "song of ascents". It was meant to be sung by worshipers as they made the trek to Jerusalem in order to worship at the temple. The city is built on a raised hill, so to go to Jerusalem was something of an upwards hike. The pilgrims looked to the hills of Judea as they journeyed. And even in the city, worshipers ascended the Temple Mount to worship.


To "look to the hills" was to anticipate worship. It was a way to long for God's presence and activity. To look for God's help by lifting eyes to the hills was a kind of prayer. And this psalm gives the built in answer to that prayer.


What the pilgrims sang about in anticipation of entering the temple was meeting with God Himself, Creator of all. The worship anticipaed an encounter with the mighty Creator God. The song hopes for just such a moment with the Almighty. It is real, and very powerful worship. And I can know it every time I open God's Word, let His Spirit speak to me in its understanding, go to God in prayer, and let Him transform me by doing what His Word says.

No comments: