Friday, May 9, 2014

Surrounded!

As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people, from this time forth and forevermore. 

Psalm 125:2


I love the majesty and security of this poetic picture. I am a mountain man living in a semi-contented exile in the prairie lands! When I can spend time in the high countries, I can relate to this vivid imagery. Now I know that Judea is not the Rockies, but mountains are mountains, no matter how tall.


So as Israel marched up to Zion for feast days, approaching the high hills surrounding Jerusalem must have immediately incited hope of the worship that awaited them at the temple there. The mountains brought hope and security.


And God so surrounds His people. Hope in Christ is always around me. It is as close as the reading of God's Word. It is as dear as a favorite memory of a pleasant journey. It is as beautiful as a mountainous panorama.

No comments: