Thursday, May 22, 2014

anticipation

May the LORD bless you from Zion, he who made heaven and earth! 

Psalm 134:3


This prayer of blessing (part of the group of psalms known as "psalms of ascent") was an anticipation of the outcome of worship. As pilgrims made their way to Jerusalem for feasts they sang these songs. And they anticipated a blessing from God in their coming worship at His temple. They envisioned The Lord of heaven and earth blessing them from His temple in Zion as they worshiped Him.


It makes me think about the attitude that I bring with me to my worship. Whether it is in the quiet of the morning or in the "crowd" on Sunday at church, do I really anticipate blessing from God in my worship?


Lord, I seek Your face so that I might again know Your joy. I need You. I cannot live without Your blessing. And I must be seeking that with all the fervor and desperation of a hungry stranger begging bread! Fill my soul with Your greatness! Amen

No comments: