Tuesday, March 25, 2014

a kingdom portfolio

In the morning sow your seed, and at evening withhold not your hand, for you do not know which will prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be good.

Ecclesiastes 11:6


The message from this little observation is to invest your life carefully in a diverse portfolio of opportunities. It is not wise to keep your eggs in one basket. Better to explore and expand than to sink into one opportunity alone and have it fail. That makes sense with money and with our life choices.


I realize that I should contemplate how to follow this. I have a tendency to get comfortable and settle in to the numbing sameness. It is soothing. I don't take risks very much. But I might be missing the wise move in the process.


I am thinking now in terms of ministry. I tend to sow seeds of gospel ONLY in the context of local church ministry. But what if the potentially prosperous "field" that needs more gospel sown into it is outside the established Christian culture and I miss it? I think that is the case. I need to think bigger with the gospel driving all facets of my life experience. Most of the needy sinners in the world are not in the church (although there are plenty of us there as well!). And Jesus wants to reach them. My kingdom portfolio seriously needs to diversify.

No comments: