Tuesday, March 18, 2014

song of fools

It is better for a man to hear the rebuke of the wise than to hear the song of fools. 

Ecclesiastes 7:5


Correction and learning are much better for a person than entertainment and amusement. But don't tell that to our culture! People may not be able to look away from their 60 inch plasma screens long enough to understand. Entertainment is an idol and amusement is very big business. But we may just be amusing ourselves to death. This tendency has always been part of the human struggle.


The words of Solomon ring out to us. But can we hear them? Are we too distracted by Hollywood glitz, flashing video games, and the constant demanding attention of social media on our cellphones to even listen? Wise words rebuke us and call us to change. But it requires effort for us to first even listen to the call to do so!


Lord,

in my culture of ceaseless info-tainment I probably miss many wise words. Help me to set limits. Let me learn from Your rebuke. Keep me focused on You and not my endless demanding false "need" for more of my world's mind-numbing amusements. Amen

No comments: