Tuesday, June 10, 2014

1971 to 2014

One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. 

Psalm 145:4


As I think about this verse, I am both encouraged and challenged. I am encouraged by my past because this generational impact of the gospel reached to me through the lives of those who came before me. I understood the gospel as a boy because someone declared the greatness of God to my generation. That was in 1971... a lifetime ago at this point for me.


The challenge is to continue to declare God's mighty works to the next generation... a generation so distracted and confused. I'd like to say that I have done that well. But I can't know that... at least I can't know the reception of the gospel. I can faithfully declare the gospel. It is up to God's Spirit to do the rest.


I have seen the gospel become the light and salvation of many. But I have also seen strong resistance to the gospel from the generations following me. Resistance has been true of every generation, but today it is a much more aggressive resistance than when I was growing up. That is why people need to see God at work in my life. I know He will draw people to Himself (not to me) as I am faithful to declare and to show His love in my life.

No comments: