Wednesday, June 11, 2014

only one trust

Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. 

Psalm 146:3


People, even powerful people, cannot save you. The admonition of this scripture is to not place ultimate faith in the systems of this world. They are only illusions of happiness. 


Wealth, fame, power, and politics all look like paths to personal satisfication. But they end up being disappointments because they cannot help with our deepest personal needs and longings. They cannot save us. Only God can do that.


So the challenge is to evaluate just where I put my trust. And I must cultivate a faith that trusts God and keeps healthy suspicions about the ways of this world. Why? Because faith is a real issue. And putting faith in pure naturalism or in human efforts, no matter how well-intentioned, is a recipe for eternal, spiritual faiture.


As a Christian, I have only one ultimate trust. My faith is in Christ. I hold my belief in the gospel as a supreme shaper of all things and the ground of my existence. And in God alone will I trust. 


No comments: